I made the top first, using the free Summer Tunic pattern from Shwin & Shwin. It's an ivory linen from my stash - more like a home dec weight than is ideal for summer, but it does give some nice shape to the top.
I was going for a water-color effect, so we sprayed down the areas we wanted to paint with water (probably her favorite part - free reign over the spray bottle!) and used very watered down paint in pink and orange to wash the over the fabric. I also took a dry brush over the top and did a little more spritzing here and there to ensure the color wasn't too concentrated in any one spot.
I considered letting her paint the fabric first, but I really wanted a more seamless look to the painting. To say there wasn't a little...okay, a lot...of literal hand-holding would be a lie. We were, after all, adding paint to a FINISHED GARMENT. She did great, though, despite Mama's uptight approach. I'll trust her more, next time.