Monday, August 12, 2013

Is there such a thing as too much bias tape?

So...I went to this estate sale this weekend and spent $16.  On what?   Here's a sneak-peak at the star of the show...








Now for the details.  Let's start with the non-sewing related items.  I picked up a little metal file box, a small yellow pitcher to add to Lisi Loo's growing play-kitchen arsenal (for the kitchen she doesn't yet have), and a glass candlestick light for Lisi's room.


Cute, but not necessarily blog-worthy.  Right?

So at these estate sales, I always keep an eye out for fabric and notions.  There was a small bedroom with a jumbled mess of miscelaneous sewing "stuff" - for lack of a better word.  (Oddly, only a few scraps of fabric, though.)  I spent a little while sorting though it all - found some packs of bias tape and rick rack, some eyelet trim, and a bag that appeared to contain some zippers and a few more packs of bias tape.  I filled a shoebox sized plastic box and was happy with my score.

Then we went to the basement where I spotted the yellow pitcher.  I wandered around to the back and there, sitting all alone on an empty set of shelves, possibly glowing a little, was this great big box of bias tape.  What?!?!?

 It did NOT look like this when I picked it up.  As soon as I got home I started sorting and re-wrapping and it was SO MUCH FUN.  I'm not ashamed.  Above is the sum total of my score.  While I was going through it all the thought crept into my head: "What kind of crazy person has this much bias tape?"  It only took me a second to realize that I AM that kind of crazy person now.  And this doesn't include the tape I already had.  I have issues.

It's not all tape.  The photo below outlines the portion that is bias tape.

 There was also a bunch of hem tape, lacy trim, rick rack, and piping.  Also some stuff called soutache braid that I'm going to need to do some more research on.






In additional, there were half a dozen zippers, some elastic, and a few patches including these really fun leather elbow patches that I'm super excited about.

 Want to see some highlights?  I'd say my favorites are these below.  Some floral, navy polka dot, and blue chambray bias tape.  Some taupe velvet ribbon.  White with gold rick rack.  That wide yellow trim is actually three pieces of that leafy trim hand-stitched to a piece of grosgrain ribbon.  But I think my favorite of the favorites has to be that white double fold bias tape with the yellow crocheted trim.  It may fall into the love-it-too-much-to-actually-use-it category.  We'll see.

So what is a person to do with all this trim?  I have a few ideas percolating - and one already started.  I'll be sure to keep you updated.

3 comments:

  1. What an unbelievable find!!! I too am very jealous! :) Estate sales, here I come!
    Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the luckiest person on Earth. :) Love finds like that. :)

    ReplyDelete