Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Baby Brown's Quilt

It's finally finished!  A quilt for Baby Boy Brown, due in September.


I guess it didn't really take THAT long - it just felt like a long time because I wouldn't let myself work on anything else until it was done.  I was doing some cleaning/organizing this weekend and found three (!!) quilts I started between 2 & 3 years (!!!) ago in various states of completion.  I couldn't let that happen with this one.


The mama-to-be registered for the two cute sheets below at Target.  I grabbed them along with a coordinating set of flannel receiving blankets.  It's a pretty simple quilt, and I know chevron's a bit over-done at this point - but since the sheet she picked out is chevron, I figured it was a safe choice.


I'm pretty happy with my piecing, too!  Not all the points line up perfectly, but a lot more do than I was expecting to - so it's a win in my book!  The quilting was just going to be 1/4 inch from each seam, but the back was so boring I went back with an orange bobbin and did an extra row "in the ditch" - nice little surprise on the back.


Oh - and the little green "flag" in the top right corner, shown in the top picture?  Covers up an oops.  My mom said every handmade quilt needs an oops, though.  Thanks, Mom.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! What are the dimensions? When I was pregnant with E I was determined to make her a (my first) quilt. I finally finished it when she was about seven months old. It's smaller than crib size, but I love it! Maybe I'll make one for F, too! I'm sure your friend will love your thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about 36 inches by 44 inches after washing. I basically made it as big as I could using the receiving blankets. I think I went with 5.5 inch squares. I think it'll be a good size for a play blanket on the floor, or to tuck in a stroller - and not too big for a toddler to tote around if he happens to get attached to it.

      Delete